View Single Post
Revu2
Grand Member

Member Since Aug 2013
4 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Feb 22, 2018 at 11:44 AM

Ah, geez. Getting down to pushing the Go! (send) button and things are getting weird. Came to realize that my core teammates don't listen the same way as I do to the flow of discussion. They seem to not credit spoken words as having much meaning. This is surprising as we spend several hours on a conference call once or twice a month. When it comes to decision time I find myself rewinding and replaying several moments across several of these conversations to remind them of where the edges and boundaries are and what is already in play in the minds of the meeting group.

The rub at the moment is releasing an invitation. The core 3 (c3) of us discussed and agreed: we send to the full team with a one week window for responses, after that we "own" getting it to final and out into the world.

They saw my draft to the full team, wrote or said nothing about it. The window opened for changes, some were suggested, the window closed. I wove in the suggestions and sent what I thought was a near-final draft for what I thought would be proof-reading.

Oh, noooo! They came back with whole sections in complex abstract language, big chunks of text suggested by the full team were gone, and several simply worded lines were now titles for academic papers!

What happened? What's going on?

So, now I'm patiently recapping the verbal discussions and textual suggestions and getting them back in play.

All of this is delaying and adds to chances for more confusion (I thought this was still in; oh, I thought we'd agreed to remove it ... )

If anyone knows a blog or pdf on the intuitive side of teamwork, please share. This is knowing a suggestion is semi-committed to if there's no speaking up during a discussion, and if later someone wants to make changes they have to go back to the group that was in discussion in the first place, etc.

This is related to what Myers-Briggs calls the Perception/Judgment scale and intuiting how this has meaning for engagement in ones group. I note this for further work at a later time.

Now to de-ice the sidewalks.

Revu2

Last edited by Revu2; Feb 22, 2018 at 12:13 PM..
Revu2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote