Magnate

Member Since Jun 2012
4,797 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Feb 25, 2018 at 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcheM View Post
Finally, someone who understands me! Let's hang out, guys! (I don't know myself what means...)

Anyway, I think I'm pretty much settled on Welsh as my preference, and I more or less know how I'd proceed... Well, I also need more financial security, because even if I can start off for free, I think I at least need to invest in some beginner readers.

Also... well, I don't think I can stop once I've started on Welsh. Other languages have caught my fancy. I've foolishly subscribed to a professor of Old Norse on Youtube, and now I find Icelandic very appealing.

I once thought that I might settle and find stability with some basic widespread languages like German, especially since your language-learning ability is supposed to decline with age. So I thought in my thirties I'd just practice and deepen what I've got. But I guess it's not to be.

As far as German, what I used at the start, with some enjoyment, was "German Demystified" on Amazon. "With some enjoyment" is because I believe that all language instruction at some point overstays its welcome, unfortunately, and it's all a matter of how much patience you have.

What I'm afraid of is not being able to learn a language at my age, and not having patience. Curse the culture of instant gratification and wanting things now! I know it will take time though. I'm going to look on Amazon for more books, right now I'm on an app called Duolingo learning words but the phrases don't make sense, but it's a start.

As far a Welsh, maybe looks for some apps on your phone if you have a smartphone, there might be some.

English

We are what we are

MDD w/psychotic features, BPD
OctobersBlackRose is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote