View Single Post
spiritual_emergency
Grand Poohbah

Member Since Feb 2007
PC PoohBah!
Default Jan 28, 2008 at 09:03 PM

<blockquote>
jacq10: I was just wondering if you can experience PTSD from the loss (not from death) of a significant person in your life? ... (In my case, a mother-like figure)

If I understand you correctly, you lost someone who was very important to you but this loss was not due to their death. What seems to be most important to your situation is the circumstances surrounding the loss and the fact that this person served as a "mother-like" figure in your life.

Can you identify the emotions you feel in regard to the reasons for the loss? Can you identify the emotions you feel in regard to the loss of this "mother-like" figure in your life? Those are probably the areas you need to focus your attention on.

If your relationship with your real mother included traumatic aspects or had a traumatic ending, I could see how this more recent loss might stir up some unresolved trauma for you. It might be helpful to examine your relationship with your own mother as well to see if what happened in your relationship with her is having any impact on what's happening now.

~ Kindness is cheap. It's unkindness that always demands the highest price.
spiritual_emergency is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote