View Single Post
direkat

Member Since Feb 2018
18 hugs
given
Default Mar 04, 2018 at 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justafriend306 View Post
How comfortable are you wearing your mental health issue on your 'shirt sleeve'. I don't exactly put my own on a billboard persay, but I am quite public about it. I don't raise it with everyone I know or meet but I do not hide it. People I find tend to be less quick to put me or Mental Health concerns down as a result.

How public are you regarding what you do to actively take on the battle of Mental Illness. In addition to taking my meds and seeing my psychiatrist, I attend support groups and actively engage in therapy and self-help. As a result, my friends and family seem to better understand that my illness is a battle of which I actively take on. I don't appear to be apathetic about my Mental Health. In return I receive a great deal of understanding and support.

It also comes down to self-advocating. I speak up when taunts and jeers are thrown at the subject. I make an effort to educate.

I don't think then people see me as someone 'crazy' rather someone facing a problem head on and doing their best to face its challenges.

In my own experience, I will often get the response of , "Tell me about it."
Idk if it's just where I live or something, but used to when I actually would talk about it (I don't hardly anymore because of this) everyone made it into a 'contest' like I would say I'm feeling really depressed today and they would be like oh me too and tell me everything bad that's happened to them recently or if I said "oh I only got like 4 hours of sleep last night sorry" someone would say "oh lucky you got 4? I only got 3" like ALWAYS the people I end up around want to one-up me and it drives me MAD. And I'll say blah blah my psychiatrist blah blah my therapist and the only thing that gets is 'I could never do meds' or 'I don't know, maybe I should see a therapist' it ALWAYS comes back to whoever I'm talking to about it. Like I said, not with the few people I've made close friends with, we share our problems but most of them that I know also carry mental health issues. Anytime I work somewhere and talk to them or if I try to do a community thing to meet new people that's how it always is and it just turns me off to people so bad. Like maybe it's just in my head because the people that are so self-absorbed are the ones most likely to be vocal about it and the ones being silent in that situation would be more understanding if I were to speak one on one but dear god does it make me just want to keep my mouth shut.

I hope that made sense lol

direkat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
mote.of.soul