View Single Post
piano97

Member Since Dec 2015
5 hugs
given
Default Apr 07, 2018 at 02:05 PM

At the beginning of the year, I got a payment from my employer based disability policy. There was a one-year limit on mental health. Some of the 12 months I received benefits, it was not much because I was continuing to try to work, and those earnings, and PTO, reduced the benefit amount.

I also started receiving SSDI benefits early in the year.

I do not think the SSDI is taxable, but I'm at a loss of figuring out if the employer plan payment changes whether or not the SSDI is taxable?

It was not income from a job, and was made in two or three payments, all in the first couple months of the year.

Another factor is that most of the benefits they paid from the employer policy, were retroactive to lost wages the previous year (2016). But I received the amount in early 2017.

I'm reading that if half of your ssdi, plus other income, is above 34,000, then 85% of ssdi is taxable. If it's 25,000, then it's 50%. Below 25,000, then zero. I do not know exactly but I think I may be right at the the border of the 25,000. I obviously haven't had taxes withheld from the ssdi, so this may end up being a large amount.

Does anyone have experience with this?
piano97 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote