amicus_curiae
Grand Member

Member Since Jan 2018
79 hugs
given
Default Apr 10, 2018 at 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaginethat View Post
I've been on a bunch of antidepressants, and they don't seem to work for long. Or maybe I get my hopes up at first and think it's working when long-term, it doesn't.

How much good can an antidepressant really do? It is possible to find one that works?

Do the things you learn in therapy actually help more than medicine? I know the combination of meds and therapy are more successful for many people.
Oh, lord, so many questions!

I may be wrong but I think that SSRI’s are the most prescribed antidepressants these days. About two-years hospitalized, having been through all legally available antidepressants, my docs started me on Nardil and I think that I actually smiled within days.

Not meant for severe depression but it worked somewhat for me — better than anything else they had tried.

Unfortunately, even though the dietary folks controlled the odd diet that Nardil requires, my blood pressure was headed toward Strokeville so I had to come off it after less than two months. I think that it’s an MAOI?

There are so many types of antidepressants but some docs won’t stray into older areas. I guess that you need to discuss a desire to experiment with your doc and see if he/she is agreeable.

Yes. There are antidepressants that work.

Yes. I have been/am being treated with medications and therapy. I’m still as mad as I was twenty-years-ago but I’m much more functional, now. I feel better, although I still have slips and other concerns.

Speaking only of my experiences: the meds usually serve to calm me down and the therapy allows me/the therapist listens and coaxes me as I release the voluminous crap that is in my head.

When I first sought the services of a shrink I thought ‘this’ll fix me,’ but my disorders didn’t go away. Just like the physical diseases for which I receive treatment, so I continue to be treated for my psychiatric disorders.

I think that most people who seek help for, e.g., mild depression, can be ‘cured’ with a dose of CBT and a placebo and get back to living. I didn’t know that my head was ****ed for life.

Contrarian, esq.
Hypergraphia

Someone must be right; it may as well be me.

I used to be smart but now I’m just stupid.
—Donnie Smith—
amicus_curiae is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Wild Coyote