View Single Post
Rose76
Legendary

Member Since Mar 2011
5,341 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Apr 19, 2018 at 10:13 PM

If you have a good, reliable income and can afford the payments on a late-model used car, then I would say good-bye to your brother's baby. 205K is a lot of miles. 16 years is a long time for a big machine, made largely of metal, to be exposed to the climate of the American Midwest. (Snow, ice, rain, wind, heat, humidity.)

I once decided to meticulously maintain a car I had bought and see how long it would last me. It got older and I got to where I can replaced just about everything in it. Then I had an accident, and all I had invested in parts and labor got towed off to the junkyard. I had dropped the comprehensive and collision, keeping only the mandatory liability. So I got nothing. Even had I kept insurance on my car, the car was too old for insurance to pay out anything. At that age of a car, the insurance against damage isn't worth the premiums.

So see about selling or donating that car to some mechanically inclined party that likes to work on old cars. Meanwhile, start shopping. The old car might get you by long enough to shop at your leisure. That's better than having the pressure of shopping when you have no car.
Rose76 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
notz