View Single Post
Skeezyks
Disreputable Old Troll

Member Since Oct 2015
17.4k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Smile Apr 29, 2018 at 06:39 PM

I'm sorry you are so alone. My wife & I have no extended family & she only has a couple of casual friends. But at least we have each other. We also have a dog who gets us out-&-about walking.

I recall reading an article, several years ago, on the editorial page of our local newspaper. The writer was an older woman who, following retirement, had moved with her husband from the city to a small town. She assumed they'd make new friends in their new hometown. However, what she found was that all of the residents who were of a similar age already had long-established relationships & were not interested in becoming friends with her.

So in order to pass the time, the writer got a job at a local fast-food restaurant. Most of the other employees were young people. And, as a result, the woman wrote that she became friends with the young women she worked with. She started being invited to their various activities... including bridal & baby showers & such.

My wife & I are retired. We've talked about moving from the city where we live to a smaller town. And whenever we do, I recall that editorial. Your post reminded me of that article too. Perhaps, as you go along, you'll have the opportunity to make some new friends at work. But in the meantime, hopefully, you will be able to find some internet friends here on PC.

"I may be older but I am not wise / I'm still a child's grown-up disguise / and I never can tell you what you want to know / You will find out as you go." (from: "A Nightengale's Lullaby" - Julie Last)
Skeezyks is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Lilly2, shelda

Thanks for this!
Blknblu