Member Since Nov 2014
205 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default May 03, 2018 at 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seesaw View Post
Okay, here's my question for the OP:

You speak in large generalities here. Where is this experience you speak of coming from? Who and where are these men that you say feel this way? Are they co-workers? Is this coming from men in your family who behave this way? Or is this just bloggers that you are reading who are writing with the attempt to write something that will be shocking and go viral?

If I speak from my own, personal experience with men it's that many of them appreciate powerful, competent women. When they hear of abuse that women have suffered, they are amazed and shocked at their fellow male's behavior, not supportive.

I have found, in my work experience, that powerful men may be just as abusive and powerful women. I know plenty of men who have been sexually harassed in the workplace by women in positions of power.

Older men, from the Matures and Baby Boomers, have different opinions of increasing female independence. I have found that, while supportive, they often aren't aware that their speech can still be somewhat oppressive, but they don't really mean any harm. For example, sometimes the words my grandfather would use to describe me as an independent woman were unintentionally derogatory, but he was fully supportive of me.

On the other hand, I have seen male colleagues beaten out for promotions by women whose only complaint was that they got beaten out by "some chick." I think that was a narrow-minded viewpoint, but more rare than I would say commonplace.

Millenial males that I know seem completely accustomed to the equality of men and women. Gen X men are afraid of women, lol, and feel dominated by them. I say this from my experience as a Gen X woman, and dating Gen X men. And as far as Millenials, I have many Millenial friends and colleagues. So these are my observations from the actual men that I know.

As you can see, it's widely varied. I don't think the entire male complex is threatened by women anymore than the entire White complex is threatened by minority equality.

Small groups of haters can be VERY loud, but it's not a majority opinion.

Seesaw
It comes from personal experience and reading about others' experiences on reputable news sources. These men who feel threatened are all over society. You just need to look is all.

I am NOT speaking about ALL men, but those who feel threatened by feminism and women being treated equally in the workplace.

Why is this so hard for people to understand?

MY BLOG IS NOW CONVENIENTLY LOCATED HERE!!
[UPDATED: 4/30/2017]

LIFE IS TOO SHORT, TOO VALUABLE AND TOO PRECIOUS A THING TO WASTE!!