Poohbah

Member Since Aug 2017
79 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default May 04, 2018 at 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikes View Post
I'm not referring to stuff that can get you killed, but I was thinking about it when in another thread someone mentioned having less anxiety during mania. I used to have a lot of social anxiety before getting hypomanic episodes. During hypomania I opened my mouth more, and even if I said some hurtful or bizarre things (as one does while hypomanic), no one burned me at the stake for it, so now I'm not as socially anxious because I learned even if I mess up with that particular thing my life isn't ruined. Obviously somethings can ruin your life, like driving recklessly or having unsafe sex, but I'm talking about the little things that you wouldn't necessarily have done the first time if you were not a little bit up.

The traffic violations weren't putting anyone in danger. I even asked a family member "would you do this in this situation?" and they said yes, and have never been manic. Not filtering my mouth like I've been doing today isn't intrinsically bad, it's just my family. Either they love me because I'm family and will forgive me or family means nothing in which case I don't care about their feelings. I could easily make myself a target, lose my job, or some other consequence I don't particularly want to experience if I don't have a filter in a different situation though. I don't think I will because I understand consequences. Getting killed or winding up homeless? Want to avoid, so will avoid behaviors that lead to that. Family, friends, or anyone that doesn't sign a paycheck or is prone to raping and murdering others being angry at me? No biggie.

On a related note, I have noticed my ability to empathize, feel guilt, and care about others swings rapidly. Sometimes I'm almost psychopathic and at other times I would give a stranger my kidney. I don't know if it's just me having an unstable personality or if it's a part of bipolar and I'm not insightful enough or don't have enough awareness to always know if I'm in a mood swing.
I’m definitely anxiety free when I’m manic.
My problem is I don’t do little things when manic. After spending more than $1k on designer clothes in a few days earlier this week I am housebound as my cash and credit cards have been confiscated. Normally I’m frugal.
I also have died my hair blue. Normally I’m really happy with my blond hair.
I have insight but lack the care factor to do the right things when manic.
I think asking “would you do this in this situation? is very smart. My problem is the answer is always ‘no’.😜

Psych meds: Saphris, Seroquel XR, regular Seroquel.
PRN Diazepam and Zopiclone
Pookyl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote