Account Suspended

Member Since Jan 2015
5,382 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default May 29, 2018 at 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by key tones View Post
We are close in age (I’m staying quiet in case I get kicked out for being slightly underage. In case you missed it in social chat, Bjornen established that no one else can read what we put in parentheses, LOL).

I read a long time ago that the cut off was 1965 for a boomer. I guess it depends on who is talking/writing.

I don't know why there's that controversy. Douglas Coupland wrote the book and coined the term, why it's questioned so much, I don't know. But it is.

I was on my grandma’s bed watching a little black and white TV when I heard Elvis died. I was really shocked.

Yes, it was terrible.

I was in high school music class when I heard Reagan was shot. My classmate was running from one area to another in a panic telling everyone because we were spread out practicing in small groups all over the school (it was a class like Fame with singers, dancers, musicians of all sorts putting acts together, so we could never be in the same room except for roll call). Of course, we didn’t know what that was supposed to mean—was the country in danger? What happened?!?!

I didn't much care for Reagan and his being shot didn't disturb me terribly I mean, not that I wanted him to be shot, I just didn't pay much attention to it.

Volcanic ash—yeah, I’ve since heard it went everywhere and even acted as fertilizer somehow. There are huge mounds of it from where they bulldozed it off the roads that I’ve seen. My late husband was camping in Washington state when it blew. The sound scared him and his friends. They had hiked a long way and didn’t have a radio, so they didn’t know what it was. I wish I remembered where exactly he was.

How scary for him! Yikes!

Remember what a sensation Roots was? And all the fear around nuclear bombs destroying the world? What was that movie, the Day After (or something like that?).

Oh, yes...all of those. We used to have bomb drills and hide under our desks when I was in elementary school.

Who shot JR? Was that around that time too? Haha, yep! Early 80's. Sheesh. It was all everyone was talking about that summer. Silly, really! But it was huge!

And the Royal wedding (Lady Dianna’s).
I'll never forget it. My 2 girlfriends and I stayed up all night to watch every moment of it. Princess Diana was only a year older than we were and her life seemed perfect, magic. She looked so beautiful in her wedding dress, so sweet, thinking she was marrying her "forever prince". So sad, how it all shook down...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*Laurie* is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Anonymous45390

Thanks for this!
Gus1234U, Travelinglady