View Single Post
bpforever1
Magnate

Member Since Aug 2017
1,598 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jun 16, 2018 at 10:49 AM

I was talking to the organizer of the meeting for the mentally ill today. He is totally against medication. He believes medication changes one's brain chemistry and one becomes addicted to medication. I take medication for schizoaffective disorder with bipolar. I have been hospitalized four times when I was off meds. I was wondering if I had not initially taken medication for my psychotic disorder that would I been better off. I don't know if my brain is addicted to medication but know I am doing better overall taking medication. I was wondering how others feel about medication for mental illness.

Does taking medication make one addicted to medication? He said the theory that there is a biochemical imbalance in the brain can be alleviated through will power because the imbalance is not physical like diabetes but due to wiring of the brain that has gone awry. Thus, if one re-wires one's brain then the mental illness will be alleviated. Hmm, I did not agree with him because mental illness is multi-factorial meaning there are environmental causes and genetic causes interplaying with each other manifesting in symptoms of mental illness. I have many mentally ill relatives who have similar disorders to mine. They are taking medication but it does not help them. However, I take medication daily and it helps tremendously with my thoughts and symptoms.

He said that the medication changed my brain chemistry where I am addicted to the medication now and can't do without it. I think addiction is always considered a negative implication but in my case the being addicted to medication is helping me in a positive way. He did not seem to understand that medication for mental illness can sometimes be helpful and effective. He said all medications for mental illness are addictive and are not necessary. When someone makes such a blanket statement, it usually is not true. He said once I stop the medication, I will withdraw and be psychotic again. This is true, however, this does not mean it is bad to take medication to be stable mentally. However, the question remains is: does taking medication for mental illness make one addicted to medication?

I never saw it as an addiction but realize he may have a point. This addiction to medication is not necessarily bad if it is helping me to remain stable. What do you think?
bpforever1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote