View Single Post
graystreet
Veteran Member

Member Since Mar 2017
95 hugs
given
Default Jun 22, 2018 at 12:23 AM

I've read through the whole thread and it is a little bit of a whirlwind.

I totally understand wanting to be with someone special, but it is very easy for other people to sense neediness, even when we think we are not. Telling someone, after only a few dates, about your mental illness is one way this is projected. Staying with someone for 10 hours on a first date *can* be another. Not always; but I think it depends on other behaviors as well.

I had an online guy friend whom I discussed my illness with even before we'd formally met. However, it was part of the way we started to get to know each other as he was also struggling with issues at the time. This was many, many years ago and we'd been friends ever since. Cut to recently when we decided to date. I divulged a lot to him that I wouldn't normally divulge to a man I wasn't close to, and it ended up being used against me. The relationship wasn't healthy, and ended up being quite damaging.

I'm not saying this will happen to you, I'm saying be wise. I see a lot of rationalizing in this thread. Just because you have issues doesn't mean you have to put up with less from an individual, or put up with things like someone being an hour and a half late for a second date. Remember, in some ways, you teach people how to treat you. If you show early on that you accept them being disrespectful toward you, they will understand now that this is something they can continue. The next time, he may be three hours late. Does that make sense?

I would also refrain from sending too many videos/songs, etc. I'm sorry, but I have to agree with divine on this one. And early in the communication with someone, receiving things like that can come off as needy or, at the very least, just an annoyance. I tend to send pictures/memes I find funny to men I'm talking to, but really only if we'd been talking about it or if I know it is in line with their sense of humor. People tend to be pretty busy, and may not have time to sit and watch a video that another person thinks is interesting. Heck, my sister sends me videos and I accidentally delete them half the time. *shrug*

I wish you the best.
graystreet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
bpforever1, lady411