Elder

Member Since Oct 2008
25 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jun 22, 2018 at 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Froman View Post
I'm going to have a little trigger warning here.

First thing I'd like to ask of those who say no, what types of things do you feel you can't bring up?

My above questions leads into my answer. I said I don't know and I'm answering that about a therapist I saw 2 years ago and am about to start seeing again. My previous therapist from four years ago I was pretty open with about suicide and all things depression related but I never brought up transgender issues in part because I didn't know to apply that word to myself at the time and also because I wasn't ready to talk about it.

As far as the T I'm about to start seeing again, I originally sought her out because she openly advertises as an LGBT counselor. I openly discussed almost everything transgender related to her. I've contacted her and am going back to see her July 3rd and I'll be focusing on depression and suicidal ideation. I don't want to be in a situation where I can't be open about SI because she wants me to go to the hospital or something. So I'll have to feel her out and if she isn't comfortable going there then I might have to seek out a different T. I hope I don't have to seek out a new one.
Do you feel like you connected with this past T? If so, yeah you can feel her out on SUI/SH, but hopefully a good T wouldn’t get freaked out about clients talking about that stuff. My T handles it amazingly. She had never expressed anything other than curiosity when I talk about these things. She knows SH is just another coping mechanism, albeit not a good one. We have gone deep in the weeds with suicidal ideation. She knows I have a plan if it ever gets bad. She knows in general terms what it is. She also had me sign a contract if i am feeling imminently suicidal, but also knows that it is just a piece of paper. She is better st reading my depression than i am. In the darkest of times, I trust her. If she says she thinks my meds aren’t working anymore, I will call the psychiatrist.

sorry, tangent! In all of this she has never threatened hospitalization on me. The most worried she has been is when we signed the contract and I promised her i was safe to go home.
velcro003 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
LonesomeTonight