View Single Post
Purple Heart

Member Since Jul 2011
66 hugs
given
Default Jun 22, 2018 at 08:37 PM

I can relate to this question. I believe yes it did! Because the abuse started pre-verbal. This affected my cognitive development including speech. I had a lot of learning and speech problems growing up. I stopped talking at about 2.5 years, why? I did some research and found this happens for people with autism or with intellectual disabilities. Therapists and friends have not found these problems in me. The thing is a lot of people over the years have said I'm highly intelligent. I have been to university and currently doing post-graduate studies. So if that is the case, why did I have so many learning and speech development problems growing up? My body memories/flashbacks tell me I was severely bullied by mother and sisters from a very young age. So today when I try to think, read, do I have body sensations of being bullied. It has done profound damage to my confidence and self-esteem. It has made it very hard to have a voice in the world. I've never felt love and acceptance by my family. So I do believe abuse can stunt a person's intellectual development.

PH
Purple Heart is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
seeker33

Thanks for this!
seeker33