View Single Post
nonightowl
Desert Kitty hates titles

Member Since Jul 2008
7,050 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Heart Jun 23, 2018 at 12:52 PM

From what I learned in 2 grief groups: Whatever you feel or don't feel is okay. Feelings for grief are not orderly or linear (I wish they were), and it's common to go back and forth between feelings each day or within an hour even. There's no time lines or frames on grief either.

Delayed reactions can happen too. I think is happening to me now. I didn't grow up with an affectionate family either, and it was so taboo to express emotions esp. negative ones.

It's been a year and a half since I lost my mom. I haven't seen my "family" of my surviving dad and brother since then. My dad is stoic, unemotional, and emotionally unavailable. My brother isn't talking to me or is mad at me. There's been no hugs or crying together or visiting her ashes together or anything.

The grief group has helped but there's just 2 more sessions left.

I would like the floodgates to open too but so far nothing. I did eventually cry an ocean of tears over my aunt, but I had a better relationship with her.

The 2 year anniversary of a friend's death is coming next month. I have visited his grave many times since he passed in 2016 but I felt/feel a connection. That's not the case with my mom. We were never close, as much as I tried to form some kind of connection with her multiple times. I gave up eventually.

It's a Jewish custom to put stones on the graves when you visit them, to show that that person has not been forgotten. I've been putting stones on his grave, and I've been collecting some too that are a lot bigger than what the office gave me.

They are big enough for me to draw a heart on it or to write "Dear friend" on it. I got the idea from seeing someone's grave that had stones all the way around it. They were different colors and sizes, with messages on them. He was just 15!

So that gave me the idea to do the same to my friend's grave. He was 54, my age. Eventually I hope to have stones surrounding it.

Hmmm....looks like some good tips in here.

"Okay, enough photos. I'm a very BUSY Business Kitty, so make an appointment next time."
nonightowl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
CANDC, ohmydaisy

Thanks for this!
CANDC, ohmydaisy