View Single Post
Blueberrybook
Grand Magnate

Member Since Oct 2017
405 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jun 25, 2018 at 04:55 AM

I am so sorry. I can't even imagine. I've never been in an accident so bad. I fall apart even at fender benders. I've had 2 of those; one where I was turning left & at fault (granted, at the time I owned a Pontiac T1000, very similar looking to a Chevette and one of the slowest cars made in that time period) and turning left. I didn't see the oncoming car (suspect it was speeding since I was in an area of Houston with speed limits around 35 mph). Still, I was found at fault because I was turning left, and it totaled my car though no one was hurt. I could have had minor damage to the vertebrae in my neck because a year or so later, a chiropractor had had a radiologist spot a minor flaw in my neck that likely was caused by whiplash if it wasn't from a past bicycle riding incident - bad fall & had in college). That totaled my car, and since it was worth nothing, the insurance didn't pay for it, and I had to take the most boring defensive driving course in the world to lower the ticket price; it was unfortunately not close to one of those comedic defensive driving courses, and that was before the state started offering it online (though I am told that is boring too).

I recently had another fender bender (this time in an old Subaru Forester, the type that was made smaller than what they currently make). I think it happened in April. The police found neither of us at fault because we were both turning left. However, the lady who hit me kept saying it was her fault because the sun was in her eyes (it is at a bad slant at that time of the morning the direction she was facing; I had to drive my daughter to school in that direction every morning, so I definitely knew). I didn't see her in the store parking lot turning left, and I always check that grocery store for turning vehicles when I leave to turn (especially left) from the pharmacy I was at. It only did surface damage to my car and just left a paint streak on her giant truck. Neither of us had airbag deployment or anything because it was a very slow crash. Still, it upset me a lot. I took extra Klonopin & my full dose of Tizanadine to calm down from that one.

I even got very upset when the police ticketed me over 10 years ago after a new driving law was passed in the state (having to slow down to under 20 mph under the speed limit or switch lanes when driving by a stopped police car with the red & blue lights running). It was a driving sting. I didn't even know about the law because I'd been busy finishing writing my last part on a publication paper on my Masters of Science degree (and proofreading it as I was the only native English speaker in the lab; the others on the paper were Greek, Russian, and Pakastani). I hadn't been caught up watching the news on the TV or listening to the car radio, driving places, and I wasn't in the habit of going to Google news or any website for the local news stations in Houston. I couldn't talk or cry my way out of the ticket; the officer was mean (I suspect he had a quota too), and that time we lived close enough I could take comedy defensive driving to get the ticket off my driving record, but even that got boring because there were certain road laws and stuff the instructor was require to cover. Even THAT incident upset me a ton.

I agree with the others about getting checked out at the ER to document your physical status and battle with the insurance company too (as hard & frustrating as it always is).

While I have PTSD from sexual abuse and coming close to being an accidental shooting victim (guy aiming at girlfriend's apartment below mine, shooting out my glass balcony door from the parking lot because his aim was off; I don't know, maybe he was drunk or on drugs too), and nearly dying from a perforated ulcer. I have read that outside of war, car accidents are one of the biggest causes of PTSD. Do you have a pdoc and/or tdoc you can discuss this with? If so, I think you should phone them up immediately (or their office) and say you need an appointment urgently. Flashbacks are horrible.

Seroquel, Cymbalta, propanolol, buspirone, Trazodone, gabapentin, lamotrigine, hydroxyzine,

There's a crack in everything. That is how the light gets in.
--Leonard Cohen
Blueberrybook is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Gabyunbound

Thanks for this!
Gabyunbound