Thread: Legal Advice
View Single Post
HopeToCope

Member Since Jun 2018
Default Jun 27, 2018 at 01:10 PM

My son, a schizophrenic, texts two girls from high school, one he likes and her friend, and believes they are responding yes or no answers, but they are not. This has been going on for 4 years or so. They have not changed their phone numbers, but have blocked his calls. When he is OK on meds, he keeps this to himself and doesn’t reach out to them in any other way. Occasionally, he has called them from a new temporary hospital stay. He isn't mean, but a bother, and of course this is scary for them. The girl he likes has filed another domestic personal protection order (for 4 yrs) and the other girl filed her first Retraining Order. In addition, he recently rode his bike to the university where the father works to talk to him. Then someone called from the university and said he is no longer allowed to come on the campus again. Also, there is a registered letter from the university that he needs to sign for as he just got out of the hospital. I don’t believe he has said anything mean because he believes there is a nice relationship with the girl and her family. The father has said in the past that our son is friendly, but his wife doesn’t want any family contact with our son. We aren't sure what to do because he goes off meds and sometimes the doctors try new meds that don't work. We usually wait until he is in bad shape (goes walking off for miles in dangerous areas, without water, or in the freezing cold without proper clothing) before we get him to the hospital. And of course, this delusion may not be completely fixable. The penalty for violating the Retaining Order, any contact, is jail up to a year. We don't feel this is appropriate, since he doesn't understand what he is doing. He has never hurt anyone. He tends to not defend himself, so the orders get put in place. He has spent weeks in jail, but no longer than that. The local judge is familiar that he has mental illness as he is the same judge that will OK any local hospital petition papers. I worry that our son will be spending a lot of time in jail in his life because it is so easy for the girls to file these forms and the judge has not allowed any defense after the order is in force. I think the girls need to change their phone numbers because he has never tried to find out where they live or work. Should my husband and I get custody to get a handle on the legal issues? Should we get an attorney to fight the new Restraining Order? What is the defense and what kind of lawyer do you get?
HopeToCope is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote