View Single Post
bpforever1
Magnate

Member Since Aug 2017
1,598 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jun 29, 2018 at 06:01 AM

I would work with your doctor and see if you can take the least amount of medications. I used to take a potpourri of medications and had so many side effects, I was truly disabled. I now take one medication which is not 100 percent effective but takes away 90 percent of my symptoms. The 10 percent of symptoms I bear with now are not as bad as the other 90 percent. If I could, I would do without medication. However, I tried this about four times and realized each time I got off, I was hospitalized until the doctor suggested I have ECT which for me is not necessary. Thus, I received talk therapy which helped me to understand my need to take medication although it is just one medication. I always take my medication now. I take Abilify about 15 mg daily. It works and I have no complaints so far with it. The 10 percent residual symptoms that I have, I just deal with it by writing on this site or writing my pen pals. My parents think I am doing ok which is the reason I'm all alone in another country surviving independently. I think if I was really ill again, I would not be able to live in another country. The immigration officials would kick me out some how. Also, there was one foreigner who went off his bipolar medication here and was sent to a mental hospital and tied down against his will. He was left unsupervised and the last time they checked on him, they found him dead. I hear horror stories all of the time but this went straight to my gut and made me feel scared about becoming non-compliant. I am careful because of this and take my medication daily. As for you, I would tell the doctor you feel really awful with your current regimen and ask for a change. I did not ask but found out after going off my medications completely that the only one medication I really needed was my anti-psychotic medication. For some reason, Abilify affects my thinking and actions. I'm dependent on it and would never go off it again for the life of me.

The story below can happen anywhere but unfortunately it hit to close to me and made me realize my mental illness is my responsibility and being compliant is part of being responsible.

The story of the New Zealand man who died in restraints.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/hea...nese-hospitals

Last edited by bpforever1; Jun 29, 2018 at 06:20 AM..
bpforever1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
SparkySmart, still_crazy

Thanks for this!
SparkySmart, still_crazy