View Single Post
DazedandConfused254

Member Since Jul 2017
333 hugs
given
Default Jun 29, 2018 at 09:51 PM

So, I have this lady who was my kindergarten teacher that I fell out of contact for years until I reconnected 5 years ago when I decided to acknowledge her as a "hero" at my high school's NHS-held Circle of Heroes, basically a time to give thanks to people who have served as someone's mentor. It was at this event when I reconnected with this old friend. In the times that followed, we met up for meals out and even went on a kayaking trip together. We were still friends for a few years after we first rekindled our friendship, but of course, my college classwork got busier and this teacher friend got busy with her job and her daughter who married, so we didn't talk as much for about a year or so.

However, I am starting to question our friendship. Though she has given me good advice along, and given me plaques with inspirational quotes for gifts, problems arose when I talked to her for the first time in almost a year, when I looked to her for encouragement after struggling in school. She then rehashed a painful history of medical trauma that she recommended that I share with future classmates and co-workers, since up until recently she only was involved in my life when I had experienced my childhood trauma (it's a private matter, so no questions/advice about it please). This advice she shared with literally everyone we knew, including my parents and this person's friends. Then when I started having problems with my very first job she pelted me with this same advice, even though my struggles with school and work were unrelated to my medical history. But since my issues have long since been completely resolved, my parents agreed that this advice was unnecessary, as I have become an independent person, graduated high school, college, and am currently in grad school, meeting many friends along the way. All of these achievements I have completed without even thinking once about disclosing my medical history, as I saw it as a non-issue. Though we have talked for a couple of times since that time almost a year and a half ago, I have not spoken with her or seen her for almost a year since this incident.

I have since decided that it's best that I give myself personal space from this friend, so far having limited my social media audience only to my closest friends, so she does not encroach me and my family's space, but I am debating whether or not I should unfriend her on FB, especially since we have not keep in contact for the past year. But I am scared about hurting her feelings or any possible offline friendship we still have. Should I unfriend this person on FB?

As stated, please do not inquire me about my medical history, or do stuff like criticize me for how I am handling this. Thanks PC.
DazedandConfused254 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote