View Single Post
kiwi215

Member Since Jul 2016
77 hugs
given
Default Jun 30, 2018 at 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowGX View Post
I feel like the problem with the "you're not alone" statement is that people say it in general a lot without they themselves being able to relate and it feels like a cop-out, no-thought statement. It used to bother me a LOT more than it does now. Now I mostly see it as "at least they're trying to make me feel better", because they easily could just ignore me entirely or make fun of me. Still, at times I don't like to hear it because it can feel like people didn't put much effort into caring and that can hurt more than getting no reply.
I think that's a big part of it too! I think maybe for me there's another component, but yes, it does sometimes seem like a cop-out statement. But I like what you said about seeing it as those people at least making an attempt to comfort me. Whether it's effective for me or not, they do probably mean well.

And I'm glad you responded! Thank you. I hope you continue to voice your thoughts. Even if someone has a negative reaction, that doesn't mean that amends can't be made or clarifications can't be given. And at the end of the day you're still allowed to have your opinions anyway. I imagine that your sharing and responding does more good than harm.
kiwi215 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote