Thread: Trapped
View Single Post
cptsdwhoa
Veteran Member

Member Since Jul 2018
441 hugs
given
Unhappy Jul 09, 2018 at 10:09 PM

Hello everyone. I just need some advice and opinions ( I will also be asking my therapist when I get one and that should be soon).

I'm essentially "trapped" with my grandmother (one of my abusers) because I live with her and I'm very dependent on her still (at 29 years old) and have little support that I know of. I want to work on healing, but I'm afraid of setting boundaries because anytime I try to do so and have a life of my own (or try to be assertive or have an opinion she doesn't agree with or an opinion at all) she either criticizes it, gets very aggressive and shouts, wants to fight, or threatens that I have to move out (when she's listening that is usually she monopolizes the conversation and isn't really listening. I'm learning to reach out for others to talk to. The only one who was really trying to step in and help me was my aunt-in-law and she could tell her presence was causing problems with my grandmother so she's taken a step back from me. She still wants to help, but I guess she wants to be less involved to not overstep boundaries. She talked to my uncle about the way my grandmother treats me, but of course in this family that didn't go well and nothing was solved. She talked to my aunt who is very distant. I don't trust that she will help since she never has before). This has happened the last three times I dared to speak up for myself. As I've done since childhood I retreat.

I'm just wondering if anyone has had any success healing and working through their trauma while still living with their abuser (it just doesn't seem possible to me). I feel like she will belittle any progress I make, and of course I can't speak with her about my trauma she wouldn't understand. Let's face it many people do NOT want to hear that they caused you harm and need to look at their own trauma. So, here I am trapped. My aunt-in-law keeps saying I wouldn't be left to fend for myself if I moved out (or was forced to leave) but with my family's history I can't believe that. What to do?!

Sincerely,
Between a rock and a hard place...
cptsdwhoa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Purple,Violet,Blue, seeker33