View Single Post
starshinelady

Member Since Jul 2018
13 hugs
given
Default Jul 13, 2018 at 06:03 PM

Hi everyone,

My therapist has recently been concerned that I might have bipolar disorder. She said I have something called rapid cycling. I've been referred to a local psychiatrist for evaluation, however my appointment is a long way off. I wanted to get some feedback from you about my symptoms. I understand that this is in no way a diagnosis or professional medical advice. I just need people who understand this disorder to give me feedback.

For as long as I can remember I've had these periods I've termed phases. Each phase is centered around a specific interest--more like obsession, really. I become obsessively interested in a specific topic for a period of time and then the phase ends and the interest ends completely or wanes. The phase starts with increased optimism and always a feeling that I've finally found my purpose in life. That optimism wanes as the phase progresses. I also always believe that my current obsession will lead to big things. Becoming a famous blogger, a new career path, psychic abilities. Then the phase ends and I'm back to square one. I become irritable and anxiety-ridden when anyone tries to distract me from my current obsession. I spent an entire vacation on my computer instead of outside enjoying my trip.

While I'm in a "phase" I have horrible insomnia. I will sleep less than 5 hrs per night on average. In the spring, I went 3 weeks sleeping only 2 hrs/night. It was brutal. I don't wake up well-rested though. I'm exhausted and then become wired again mid-day-evening. In the phase I also have racing thoughts and elevated heart rate. I become distracted and can't engage in favorite activities like reading. I can only focus on my current obsession. Basically I feel like I'm on speed. Like I've downed 20 caffeine pills or snorted cocaine. In the phase I end up doing things I wouldn't normally do, stealing, maxing out credit cards, converting religions, etc. It's ruining my life.

When the phase ends, it's like I finally have sobered up after being drunk. I look around and see the devastation I've caused--most often to my finances--and deeply regret my actions. But I can't stop these phases. I've tried. It's like I'm powerless against them. There's a small part of my brain that tries to rationalize my behavior, but it's overshadowed by this monster.

The phase ends and I either feel normal for a 2-week period or alternate to depression. I've been treated for depression since I was 18. I'm 37 now. My "phases" have begun to worsen with age to the point where they're seriously interfering with my work, marriage, family, and friends. I used to like these phases because they were the opposite of my depression. I thought this phases were what other people experience as happiness. After my depression, they're such a relief. But now, these phases are destroying everything.

I've been reading about bipolar disorder but manic episodes (and hypomanic episodes) seem more severe than what I'm experiencing. I have insomnia, but don't feel energized when I wake. I have optimism, but not euphoria. No hallucinations or delusions either. No increased sensory perception. I realize that bipolar is a spectrum and everyone is different. But from what I'm describing, does it sound familiar? Does it sound like bipolar disorder?

Thanks in advance!
starshinelady is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote