View Single Post
Brownmike

Member Since Aug 2016
1 hugs
given
Default Jul 17, 2018 at 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkySmart View Post
Brownmike, how do you perceive being locked up? When you're on a psychiatric unit, the doors are typically locked, but it's still a hospital. You'll be seen by a physician (hopefully daily) and given meds that might actually work. You'll be fed (sometimes very well), and see a therapist and/or social worker who can help you access outpatient services. If going inpatient is recommended, maybe it's a good thing?

Some hospitals are better than others, for sure, but Hollywood's version of a psychiatric hospital is a gross exaggeration. All hospitals are actually planning your discharge on the day of your arrival; they're typically crisis-oriented (short-term vs. long-term), and beds are in short supply, so the turnaround time from admission to discharge is amazingly short. Sometimes you'll have nothing to do, so boredom is the rule, not torture.

It may surprise you that ER physicians don't always recommend psychiatric admission once they assess your risks versus their liability. Sometimes it's determined that a 2- to 5-day hospitalization wouldn't serve any purpose, even when they acknowledge that you're suffering. It's not unusual for patients to be disappointed or even angry when they're discharged from an emergency room after being deemed safe enough.

Being hospitalized means a temporary loss of autonomy, but there's not that much drama. Really, I would encourage you to do what's necessary. You won't regret reaching out for help.
When I was in college I actually did a drug study where I was in a mental unit. I only had to stay overnight a few times during the study.....but it was horrible.

There’s also the fact that everyone would know.

If I go in and say I’m thinking about hurting myself they’ll lock me up.

If I go in and just say I’m really really depressed they’ll just release me, make me an apt that will probably be weeks away and I’ll get a huge hospital bill.

I just need to see a doctor but that doesn’t seem to be in the cards. Like I’ve said people always ask why depressed people didn’t try to get help when the fact is I’ve tried to get help everywhere and nobody cares unless you have cash or insurance.

Sorry for being so negative but this isn’t my first rodeo with depression. I’ve had this problem for over 2 decades and instead of things getting better they’re just getting worse and I think I’ve gotten to a point where it’s just not worth it anymore.
Brownmike is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
SparkySmart, Tryingtoheal77