Thread: Roll Call 129
View Single Post
Anonymous40796

Default Jul 26, 2018 at 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desoxyn View Post
I'm going to read the book "12 rules for life" by jordan peterson.

Outline of the book:[3]

Stand up straight with your shoulders back
Treat yourself like someone you are responsible for helping
Make friends with people who want the best for you
Compare yourself to who you were yesterday, not to who someone else is today
Do not let your children do anything that makes you dislike them
Set your house in perfect order before you criticize the world
Pursue what is meaningful (not what is expedient)
Tell the truth – or, at least, don't lie
Assume that the person you are listening to might know something you don't
Be precise in your speech
Do not bother children when they are skateboarding
Pet a cat when you encounter one on the street
YouTube
Here is a video of Jordan Peterson Saying a rule to not let women wear lipstick or wear heels in the workplace. Then he flip-flops and contradicts himself and say that isn't what he's sasying. But it's too late because he already is c reating the toxic environment for women by blaming them for men's behavior. Also, he used evolutionary psychology which always relates to sex, and doesn't encompass aesthetics properly. For instance, woman can just wear makeup due to self expression.

JP got famous when he told an entire class, while recording, that he wouldn't call stuednts by the preferred gender pronoun, which i found callous. That video went viral and young trump supporters clinged on to him.

I like that he recognizes a serious problem, but it discomforts me that he is the one they are going to answers for. A philosophy professor at Cornell University reviews his book. Her own book is titled Down Girl: The Logic of Misogyny. She was troubled by the book. Here is her review:
Review: 12 Rules for Life by Jordan Peterson | Kate Manne

After this review Peterson wrote back threatening her with legal action online. Then all of his followers started sending death threats and rape threats to her. It was a nightmare as her book Down Girl happened in real time to her (misogyny).

He's also a hypocrite. He is againt universities because he believes they are indoctrinating students into liberal leanings. So he hates authoritarianism, but he threatens to be one himself. He literally threatened all his colleagues with an artificial intelligence software that would pick out "neo Marxist" language to get them to close down.

I'm sorry im laying al this on you. To be honest, i really do thinks he cares about his young, male audience. But I think he reinforces toxic masculanity. He has a lot of weird views, including the idea that birthcontrol is ruining western civilization, because it makes women want more feminized men, and because it drags women into the workplace where they will be unhappy.

Also his pragmatism isn't refined. He takes the "if it works it must be true" approach, William James uses pragmatism in a different way, where when looking at a dispute that could go either way (god, freewill, beauty, ect...) it's best to believe what's in your highest virtue to believe.

Do you have a Kindle from Amazon?

I just asked major philosophers on Twitter for other suggestions because the aim of Peterson's book is a worthy endeavor, but his character is controversial.

So far, from my own reservoir of book recommendations I recommend Viktor Frankle's Man's Search for Meaning, Nietzsche's Thus Spoke Zarathustra (just the first few chapters), Marcus Aurelius' Meditations.

Oh, I'm already getting answers from some pretty big names on Twitter. One being Kate Manne herself. She recommends "Angry White Men". Another philosopher recommends The Antidote by Oliver Burkeman. This might be a big thread on Twitter.