Thread: BPD and C-PTSD
View Single Post
JanePleet

Member Since Jul 2018
Default Jul 30, 2018 at 06:46 AM

Several very traditional psychiatrists and psychologists have diagnosed me with generalized anxiety, panic disorder, major depressive disorder, PTSD, and BPD. At first, when I was diagnosed with BPD, I was relieved to just have a diagnosis finally because my doctors didn’t know what to do with me and none of the IOPs or other programs/treatments were helping at all.

Then most people I dealt with in the medical field, even just primary care providers, started treating me differently. When they saw that diagnosis I became viewed as a problem patient. My husband even treated me differently at first because he read “Walking on Eggshells” and began acting like I was constantly trying to manipulate him. We wound up separated and in counseling for a year over this.

And, after doing a few years now of research, the BPD diagnosis just seems like a huge umbrella diagnosis originally for “difficult” women that pretty much anyone can be given. When I was last hospitalized, most patients whom I asked why they were there either knew, or said “They’re not sure yet...” and the next day they’d tell me they “found out” they have been dealing with BPD.

It’s too easy for doctors and way too difficult for patients. The set of symptoms in the DSM for BPD are too broad. I have found Pete Walker’s book on C-PTSD much more relatable and less stigmatizing.

Why isn’t C-PTSD in the DSM yet, and has anyone else dealt with being misdiagnosed/having C-PTSD confused for BPD by a mental health professional? Any other advice is more than welcome. C-PTSD/BPD/whatever-this-is has really, truly ruined my life. I don’t know what to do with it anymore.
JanePleet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
12AM, Carmina, Fuzzybear, HD7970GHZ, seeker33, Thirty shades

Thanks for this!
12AM