View Single Post
WishfulThinker66
Magnate

Member Since Jun 2018
117 hugs
given
Default Aug 03, 2018 at 09:48 AM

I am really sorry but this is their decision to make. It is not you who has to live their lives.

I realise this would be devastating but there are a few things you should consider....

- Perhaps there has been an event ongoing or otherwise that one or the other cannot live with or forgive.
- Is it fair to ask them to live miserably?
- should you expect two people to live lovelessly together?

I agree that this all is rather traumatic - especially if it comes as a surprise. There are studies out there that show that staying together for the sake of one's children actually backfires as the stress of maintaining such a relationship negatively affects them. If the two parents can get along separately it is a much better situation for the children involved. The fact that your parents are talking calmly about this together suggests to me that would be just the case.

So, I want you to think about being in either parents' shoes. Realise this is a very difficult decision for them and that they very much will be considering you in the decision they must make.

Welcome to the website and forum by the way. There is no indication of what round about age you are. Are you a youth or a young adult? If you are the former I think I would, come the new school year, approach a guidance counsellor. Other wise, I would encourage you to raise your worries and angst and have a heart to heart with them.

In my own case, while I despise the man, my own marital breakup went rather smoothly and we were able to remain civil afterwards for the children's sake. They were certainly in a better atmosphere growing up than had I stayed with him.

Good luck as you work your own way through this painful experience.
WishfulThinker66 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
s4ndm4n2006