View Single Post
tevelygo

Member Since Feb 2018
26 hugs
given
Default Aug 22, 2018 at 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeker33 View Post
I see your symptoms are different from mine and you're much more knowledgeable about the brain. I'm very sorry that I'm not able to answer your questions. To be honest I'm not even sure I fully understand what exactly you're going through. So I'll just simply tell you what is helping me and what difference I see. Hopefully you'll be able to take at least something from it.
Really appreciated!

I will add comments below, to relate to you and also where it differs from your experience, maybe you still find it interesting, or it could give information to anyone reading about what I should try to deal with my issue more efficiently. Also, it's me thinking out loud lol.

Quote:
I was completely stuck and immobilised /frozen after life long complex trauma and basically unable to begin my independent adult life. (finished uni at 25 and my first real job at 27 was a massive failure - I taught at primary school where I was basically bullied by my students while my mother was battling leukemia). After a year of this I only worked in the family business and lived like in a fog or dream, with no emotions, only negative ones.
Ah I'm glad you got better from this.

My side comments would be that when I meant I got immobilised, I meant that I literally could not move at times. I stayed in whatever position I was. Sometimes even in public, in a shop, in the middle of the street, stuff like that. This would last 30-60 minutes before I could get myself to move again (sometimes if I tried really hard, I could move say, a hand, but it would be jerking uncontrollably instead of doing what I wanted it to do, so I decided staying immobilised was better than that). And for me emotions were all turned off for over a decade for the outside world beyond the little safe bubble I would live in with too much loss of functionality. When they tried to come back, I had both positive and negative but neither was very realistic emotion especially initially.

Quote:
I found out about complex trauma when I was 29(last year) which came as a huge, massive relief and simply having a diagnosis gave me hope and strength to fight. I found an online therapist who walked me through exposure of my trauma. I have two sessions a week. It was extremely difficult and I was on an emotional roller-coaster but I allowed myself to feel and cry. I'd been suppressing crying for about 20 years before. My T says it's very important to allow yourself to feel the emotions and "sit with them".
Ah this part is definitely familiar! This is what I had for a year that I called the "borderline" phase and I did get trauma that triggered it. Though probably in your case your emotions were less disorganized than mine and more readily accessible. It's cool you had luck with finding an online therapist for this and that it actually works.

Quote:
What helped me from somatic experiencing was imagining that I'm in the traumatic experience from the past and I allowed my body to finish the action it wanted to take. For example I was in a situation where I wanted to run or fight but wasn't able to. Now in the safety of my home I allowed my body to run and I imagined the fight including real physical movements. You imagine running into safety or winning the fight. This should rewire your brain and release the stuck energy. I don't know if this happened but I did feel better afterwards. I did pendulation as well.
Interesting, but I think my trauma was more intangible-emotional than tangible-physical. Also extremely heavy so it was blocked out for a whole decade. I guess I never saw a therapist that could deal with that sort of issue. For some reason all the trauma stuff I've read up on focuses on the physical issues as a way to fix the trauma... I guess because PTSD is often from a physically threatening situation. Mine was nothing like that. Not physically threatening, just emotionally. No worries though, I still found this somatic experiencing an interesting method when reading up on it .

If someone could work out a method to do this process for purely emotional trauma without any physical component then that could be what I need. Especially if it's some method targeted at genetically alexithymic people (I am, and that complicates things and it's part of why I would be susceptible to emotional trauma in the first place I think).

Pendulation seemed like a very interesting concept/method. I could apply the concept to myself in a personalized way but I'm not sure it'd be the most efficient way to get somewhere finally uh... like I would have to go very very slowly. Maybe my **** is just too extreme, with having been disconnected from emotions for a decade after my instincts deciding a long time ago that I simply could not *exist* (emotionally) in this world among people.

Quote:
Mindfulness - I've been practising body scan and mindful living (on my daily walk, doing chores, when I'm cooking, when I'm showering) since the beginning of August. I feel much calmer and my focus has improved. I'm able to manage my anxiety better. It's not ideal but I'm surprised how soon I see the difference I want to keep doing this.
My problem with mindfulness is again that it targets the focus on the tangible-physical-sensory... That focus to me is easy, trivial. Immersing deep enough in the body though does result in my brain trying to connect to the trauma emotions but the problem then is that some parts of the emotional system in my brain seem to be really disconnected (beyond just alexithymic-undeveloped, too) so I would just get the fake sensation of emotional pain that's not really a proper emotional state so it cannot be managed with any kind of emotional management technique or otherwise.

Only thing to do then is withdraw from the pain and rest again. Which I guess on the surface sounds like the pendulation approach, except it is not towards actual improvement. Or it's so slow it's not efficient and not effective eventually either. Because, no processing of the issue happens, neither in the "active/hot" state, nor in the "passive/cold" state, obviously. The sweet spot where processing can be done is just not reached this way. Or maybe it tries to process a tiny little bit upon contact until it's instantly too stressful (i.e. impossible pain). But I doubt there'd be any processing happening. Not until later I'd consider the situation and the entire issue intellectually - but that's also very inefficient due to missing the emotional information most of the time.

Quote:
I also did art therapy by drawing my trauma experiences.
Ok sounds like you are definitely more in touch with your feelings than I am

(Hhahaa me trying to draw feelings. OK that was a funny moment.)

Quote:
The combination of these has led to significant release of both positive and negative emotions and stuck energy. The beginning was extremely difficult, I could cry 2-3x a day for a few months. But the more I cried the more I was able to feel good and positive emotions, too.
I'm not healed yet, but over one year I made significant progress, found new hobbies, I began going on trips, improved self care and was able to increase my workload slightly. I'm now in the point when I think I might be able to move away and begin a real adult life sometime next year. I'm still quite socially isolated though but I don't mind. I'm much more active and go out more often even alone.
This sounds very good and btw yes I can see where you related to me. Because I did/do have that issue too with stuck emotions and energy etc.

It just looks like I can't release them purely via the physical means or just by crying etc. I needed extreme stress to even be able to release emotion in terms of expressing by crying or even more raw expression than that. (I mean therapists could not help me access any feelings at all. This was the only thing that worked in accessing, not intentionally of course.) And it doesn't actually get the original trauma processed for me or make my brain more resilient in dealing with problematic stuff (emotional stuff). When I say processed I mean I need to process it on an intellectual level too...

Can I ask how long you cried each day? Because I guess it was not overwhelming but instead not too much so it still had a visibly healing effect on you...?

I had a 3-week period of extreme reaction uh... to the trauma coming out, actually that happened by getting retraumatized strongly enough. If that makes sense. I was crying literally for hours until I felt like I caught the flu, plus I had very bad chest pain (it was a strong sensation of it burning, half physical, half emotional, it was not a proper emotional state again). So uh I didn't allow myself to do that anymore because I could see it was not working, I was just sinking into it all. Overwhelming response for the brain means you can't get past it, imo, so not healing that way. Then I approached it in a very slow way. Not mindfulness, no focus on the physical at all, for me the very opposite worked for a while instead. Intellectualizing like crazy. I know all psychologists say don't intellectualize but if that's the only way for me to get started... well again, if there is a more efficient process I'm all ears.

I guess if there is nothing out there for this type of issue/person I am, then I just have to continue developing my own methods, but your input definitely helped, reading up on stuff you listed and reading your experience overall gave me more ideas (for both the parts that are similar for us and for the parts that are the opposite/different) and also extra hope.

I hope I made some sense, I'm not feeling well enough atm to organize my writing better now. But do ask if something was unclear, please.

Last edited by tevelygo; Aug 22, 2018 at 06:16 AM..
tevelygo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
MickeyCheeky

Thanks for this!
MickeyCheeky