View Single Post
DahveyJonez

Member Since Aug 2018
13 hugs
given
Default Aug 29, 2018 at 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -jimi- View Post
He's not still on Luvox, right? Combining Luvox and Seroquel isn't recommended.

No, his last dose of Luvox was probably two years ago. He was taking that as a stabilizer during our first trial with Abilify.

Quote:
Also remember that a person with autism can be mega sensitive to medication. ...

You ain't kiddin!

Quote:
What is his worst problem that needs to be addressed?

That is a very, very good question and you'd think that we'd have an obvious, ready answer for it. Its taken a lot of time to ferret out things from one another. Almost like having to stain biological matter in a petri dish so that you can tell what belongs to this cell, what belongs to something else...

I'd say that getting his very intense anger under control is job 1. A close second is dealing with the white-knuckle, death-like grip he has with respects to his perseverant, limited interests (which change or rotate, rather). He is a smart kid but he doesn't study, won't have anything - I mean ANYTHING to do with that which does not inhabit the realm of hypomania and anything he does develop an interest in, regardless of how casual it begins, or useful or whatever, if he does become interested in it, it WILL become obsessional.

The first time his aunt saw him as an infant, I'll never forget - she said "He's going to be intense. Really, really intense."

Quote:
Originally Posted by still_crazy View Post
hi. seroquel can be -densely- sedating. on the plus side, low potency tranquilizers (thorazine, seroquel, etc.) -might- carry a lower long term risk of TD than equivalent doses of moderate to high(er) potency drugs (Haldol, perphenazine, Abilify).

TD, EPS, akathisia, NMS, etc. can and do still happen on seroquel, of course. I have only rudimentary knowledge of this, but it seems that when a neuroleptic/tranquilizer is in the mix, more drugs=more problems. So...for instance...I take Abilify. When I briefly tried Depakote with Abilify, I had EPS and akathisia that persisted even -after- the Depakote was discontinued. True story. Lithium is, from what I've read+heard, even worse.

gabapentin might be worth looking into. old school shrinks--I had one once, she was actually fairly awesome--use sedatives (gabapentin, lyrica, benzodiazepines) to help keep the tranquilizer/neuroleptic dose a bit lower. They can also be used to ease tapering off of neuroleptics (and other psych drugs), although the benzodiazepines can have nasty effects after long term use, especially at higher doses (I think "high dose" is anything above the equivalent of 40mgs/valium daily, but I might be wrong about that).

I don't have major drug recommendations. Lamictal has been good to me, personally, but some people hate it, and others don't find it all that effective. Trileptal was kind of mind numbing and depressing, but it could have been the (excessively high) dose.

sorry about the situation. i hope this helps a bit.
It does help, SCrazy! I've a couple of questions for you, as well, but I'll have to hold 'em till I get back.

Cheers!
DahveyJonez is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote