Magnate

Member Since Oct 2017
736 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Sep 02, 2018 at 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moreta View Post
My pdoc told me about this in June when I saw him. He said the best one to take was culturelle and there was another probiotic strain to take along with that one. I've been taking culturelle a few days a week since then. Can't take it every day or I get the massive poops. This is the sheet he gave me on it that ended up in the pile in the back of my car lmao. Probiotics It's all pretty interesting research but they've been saying that mood can be tied to a happy gut.
Thanks for the link, Moreta. I looked up the article cited in my link and the two specific species they reported they used were:

"Patients hospitalized for mania (N = 66) were randomized after discharge to receive 24 weeks of adjunctive probiotics (Lactobacillus rhamnosus strain GG and Bifidobacterium animalis subsp. lactis strain Bb12"

That is from "Adjunctive probiotic microorganisms to prevent rehospitalization in patients with acute mania: A randomized controlled trial."

This looks very close to the two mentioned in your link for bipolar mania "Lactobacillus rhamnosus LG with Bifidobacterium lactis bb-12"

except one is LG and the other is GG, but I don't know, what, if anything that means.

I also wanted to add what the authors wrote about the impact of their research on treatment:

"A few words of caution before you buy probiotics to address mood changes. The study was small, and the selected patient population had a more severe form of bipolar disorder. Similar studies for patients with milder symptoms of depression and schizophrenia found little to no effect when comparing probiotics to standard treatment. We need a lot more data from high-quality research to change what we currently recommend for the treatment of other psychiatric illnesses.

Yet, this research still has the potential to change practice after patients with bipolar disorder get discharged from the hospital for mania. Adding probiotics to the regular medication regimen is simple, cheap, has no side effects, and appears to be highly effective."

I hope there is more research on gut biome/mental health interactions. It has the potential to help a lot of people. If I were facing repeated hospitalizations for mania I would definitely give it a go.

I was taking kefir in the morning with a protein chocolate powder a while ago. I'll have to buy it again and see what species were in it.

2.5 mg olanzapine
tecomsin is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Wild Coyote

Thanks for this!
Moreta, Wild Coyote