Disreputable Old Troll

Member Since Oct 2015
17.4k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Smile Sep 11, 2018 at 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DahveyJonez View Post
Update, FWIW, he's being discharged very soon. Just keeping our fingers crossed that the slight changes in medication will be beneficial.
I've been hospitalized twice. Both times were following major suicide attempts. So, going in, I really wasn't in any kind of shape to think about what was happening. As a result I can't comment with regard to that. However what I wanted to speak to is the question of coming out.

Following both of my hospitalizations, I was discharged to home & simply returned to the same day-to-day life I had prior to going in. The first time around, after a few days, I realized nothing had changed (except for the fact I had tried to get rid of myself & been hospitalized.) Anyway after a few days of hanging out at home, I made arrangements to attend a partial hospital program. I wouldn't say it was a great experience in terms of what I learned necessarily. But it gave me a place to go & people to be with who were experiencing similar struggles. And I think that was valuable. The second time around I just went home. It was tough for a while. But at least I had the memory of the previous experience to work from.

So I'd like to suggest you consider the possibility of having your son attend some kind of post-hospitalization day program for a while. I suppose, perhaps, your son is still in school. And I don't know how you work around that or if you can. However, at least based on my own experience, having him simply return home & go back to everything as it was prior to going in may not be the best idea. My best wishes to you all...

"I may be older but I am not wise / I'm still a child's grown-up disguise / and I never can tell you what you want to know / You will find out as you go." (from: "A Nightengale's Lullaby" - Julie Last)
Skeezyks is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
DahveyJonez