View Single Post
alittlelikemusic

Member Since Oct 2018
94 hugs
given
Trig Oct 25, 2018 at 08:56 PM

Is anyone diagnosed with PTSD not associated with combat or sexual assault? I feel like most of the PTSD topics always cover these two things more than anything else. No offense to those who do have PTSD as a result of combat or sexual abuse. I'm not treating your symptoms as overrated or anything. This post is just to reach out to others like myself.

I was diagnosed with PTSD because I grew up in a family that constantly used intimidation to control me (threatening me to get good grades in school, telling me I'm a burden because I'm incompetent, invalidating my opinions, acting like they'll hurt me because I'm not living up to their expectations, getting pissed at me because I can't hold down a job, making sure I know I'm worthless because I'm lazy, threatening me for self-injuring, having to watch everyone scream at each other and physically fight each other and then trembling in fear that I'll get jumped next, having alcoholic parents and siblings, getting strangled by a drunk sibling, being screamed at for vague reasons, watching my parents physically abuse my pets, listening to the horror stories my siblings told me about how our parents treated them growing up, but then having them treat me like crap the way our parents did to them, etc. etc.).

Too Long Didn't Read: Basically, has anyone been diagnosed due to growing up in a war zone at home? And also getting bullied when you were in school?

I'm 27 years old now, but this has all stayed with me. It doesn't help that I still live with my mother, a place that is still pretty much a war zone for me. Like I said before, I can't hold down a job so this is pretty much my life, stepping on eggshells every day while trying to hold it together.

Obviously, I can't seek support from family. I attempted to bring up my problems in the past and got shut down hard. I just get called a failure and looked at like I'm a freak. My mom makes fun of me and likes to call me crazy and would ridicule me when she would catch me taking antidepressants.

That was a lot of rambling...

Sorry about that. But can anyone relate? At all?
alittlelikemusic is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Abusedbysister, beauflow, Chyialee, Innerzone, KYWoman, LucyD, MickeyCheeky, MtnTime2896, Open Eyes

Thanks for this!
Abusedbysister, MickeyCheeky