View Single Post
alittlelikemusic

Member Since Oct 2018
94 hugs
given
Default Oct 26, 2018 at 07:45 PM

Quote:
This definitely can be PTSD or CPTSD. There are many people who suffer from trauma from childhood abuse or neglect! Check out Pete Walker's book about CPTSD.

And please find a good therapist. Unfortunately not all of them are trained in cptsd but they do exist!
Thank you seeker33! I'll be sure to check it out. I had a good therapist one time, but then she left the company and was replaced with someone who wasn't a good fit. It's a shame because I felt like I made good progress with her.

Quote:
Honey, I can. I survived a similar upbringing to yours. I am 61 and was diagnosed last year with Complex PTSD because of it. I barely remember any of my upbringing because it was so traumatic. My mother and two older sisters tormented me daily.

Is there any way you can get a therapist to help you deal with this? Honey, you are not at fault; growing up in an abusive home is brainwashing. They fill your head with lies and beat you up when you fail at anything.

Can you find out about low-income services in your area? I got counseling for many years through programs like that.
Thank you for sharing HappyCrafter . Sometimes, I've realized that I have holes in my memory too. There are times where I'll just be going about my life and out of nowhere I'll remember something that had been repressed. I'm sure I can get a therapist to help. It's just a matter of finding someone who's a good fit for me. Unfortunately, I live in a crappy area and have to travel pretty far just to find therapists at all. I'll be sure to search for low-income services. Thank you.

Quote:
Yep, my C-PTSD comes from growing up in an abusive alcoholic home as well. I'd wager there are quite a few of us whose first brush with PTSD comes from our family of origin.
Thank you, Stone92 . I don't understand why our families are the ones to hurt us the most. It shouldn't be this way but it is and it's horrible. Just today, I woke up and early this morning my mother had alcohol on her breath. I'm sick of it. I go into the kitchen and there are about 8 cans of beer in the trash. Like wtf?

Quote:
PTSD can be caused by many things, from home abuse to car accidents to natural disasters. You are definitely not alone as there are several causes of PTSD.
Thank you, 88Butterfly88 . Actually, I'm afraid to drive. I can't help but have this bad feeling that I would get into a car accident. I have ADHD and I just don't think I would be able to focus on the road as I should. I don't want to add one more thing to my list of troubles, so I stick to public transportation like the plague.

Quote:
You know... while I do suffer from sexual issues that contributes to my OTSD- I also can totally pin many of my issues on family issues too! I never could trust my mother to protect me... and I always anticipated her bringing chaos into my life- which she did.. on many occasions! My family has never been a source of support... and mostly just additional trauma :/ at times I figured my sexual traumas may not have been so life alterning had I had a family that supported me and didn’t contribute to the trauma. I feel way more traumatized by my mother than by any assault or incident!

Thank you for sharing! And commenting on my post!
I feel the exact same way! I don't feel safe with any of my family members. I've just been faking it to make it, trying to survive until the day I can finally get away from them. At least we realize how toxic they are. It's good to know that it's not us.

And no problem! Thank you for responding to my post as well.
alittlelikemusic is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
happysobercrafter, MickeyCheeky, seeker33

Thanks for this!
happysobercrafter, MickeyCheeky