Community Liaison

Member Since Jun 2016
70.9k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Heart Nov 10, 2018 at 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueberrybook View Post
Thanks for posting. That's an interesting article. How weird that there may be a link between cognition & herpes simplex virus I in bipolar patients. I've had HSV-I since I was a child. I got the worst cold sores & fever blisters, and I didn't even ever need braces. Sometimes, as an adult, it got so bad, my PCP would call in Valtrex for me. Lately, it seems to be lying low. I surprisingly have not had issues with it in a few years, which is odd now that I think about it. Of course, now I'll probably wake up with a cold sore tomorrow
Valtrex is quite effective; yet, has its drawbacks.

If you'd like to try preventative treatment for HSV, simply google lysine herpes treatment. L-lysine use can prevent outbreaks. My H has had almost constant outbreaks until I did some research. I put him on L-lysine tabs and he does very well, with almost no outbreaks.

Diet can play a factor. When the L-Arginine level gets too high, people are more apt to have outbreaks. We offset the Arginine with Lysine.
He also uses topical L-Lysine cream/ointment on his lips, esp if under stress and/or in the sun.

A couple of sources of Arginine, which when too high can cause outbreaks, are colas, chocolate. Other foods raise Arginine levels, too.

You may already know this; yet, thought I'd share in hopes you may have fewer outbreaks.

WC