Magnate

Member Since Oct 2017
85 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Nov 10, 2018 at 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Coyote View Post
Valtrex is quite effective; yet, has its drawbacks.

If you'd like to try preventative treatment for HSV, simply google lysine herpes treatment. L-lysine use can prevent outbreaks. My H has had almost constant outbreaks until I did some research. I put him on L-lysine tabs and he does very well, with almost no outbreaks.

Diet can play a factor. When the L-Arginine level gets too high, people are more apt to have outbreaks. We offset the Arginine with Lysine.
He also uses topical L-Lysine cream/ointment on his lips, esp if under stress and/or in the sun.

A couple of sources of Arginine, which when too high can cause outbreaks, are colas, chocolate. Other foods raise Arginine levels, too.

You may already know this; yet, thought I'd share in hopes you may have fewer outbreaks.

WC
I tried the L-Lysine, and it did not help me. But like I said, it's weird, too, the past few years, I haven't had any outbreaks. Though I know I'm always prone to one if I bite my cheek or tongue while eating or just eat food that is rough or too salty and starts making my mouth hurt. I haven't needed Valtrex in some years, maybe 7, 8 years? I think I may have once or twice used Abreva (and God, does one little tube of that cost a fortune!), but it's been a lot better the last 10 years or so.

Unfortunately, I've found my daughter has this too, and she is not yet ready for braces, which I know worsens it. My youngest sister has HSV-1 also, and she was often in tears with the outbreaks combined with braces combined with playing the clarinet in band.

It's crazy the things that may be linked to mental illness. I think there is also some thought or evidence that yeast infections may link to mental illness. Which, yes, I have chronic yeast infections unless I eat yogurt daily. And the crazy thing is I even had them as a child, as young as 6 or 7. I didn't know it at the time, and for some reason, my infections are never accompanied by the discharge, just the itching (which caused me to never bring it up to my mother); I just happened to get a pap smear in my early 20s, and when they called with the results, they said I'd had a yeast infection, was I over it or did I need medication? And I realized I'd had the crazy itching during the result waiting period. Someone once posted about auto-immune issues linked to mental illness and some believe these chronic yeast infections have connections to the immune system, I think even the autoimmune system. So much of the body links together, it's crazy.

Seroquel, Cymbalta, , propanolol, buspirone, Trazodone, gabapentin, omeperazole

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
two roads diverged in a wood, and I -
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
--Robert Frost
Blueberrybook is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Wild Coyote

Thanks for this!
Wild Coyote