View Single Post
Anonymous55498

Default Dec 02, 2018 at 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feralkittymom View Post
I actually don't hear much advice on this forum about "working out" issues in the presence of alarmingly negative symptoms. What I see more of is posters who are negatively bonded to Ts they should walk away from, but are too deep in desperation to do so. Assuming no one can understand a situation unless they've experienced it is just another way of staying stuck.
This is what I think as well and why I compare many therapy stories shared on this forum to an addiction.

I personally don't think that it is always due to an incompetent therapist and/or unmotivated client when therapy does not turn out useful for someone. I think it is a particular approach to improvement that, if done well, it can be very helpful for some people, but not everyone. Just like a particular psych med or lifestyle choice would work for some but not for others, and can even be harmful in certain cases. I also think that some people are more prone to getting stuck in bad/useless therapy, in what is described as transference, attachment or whatnot, while others do not experience and process somewhat similar needs in a similar way and with the same outcome. It is normal human diversity IMO. I think some of us come here and like top encourage others to go against their internal currents and unstuck and this is sometimes met with negative reactions claiming we don't understand or are dismissive, which is fine with me as there is room for variety here and variety is exactly what can make a forum like this interesting and useful. There is also perfectly enough room for acceptance and pure support of whatever situation.

For me personally "working through" would never be something that is purely mental, remains in therapy, and does not lead to changes or improvement of symptoms in everyday life. This is one reason why I do not believe anyone can truly "work through" issues purely in therapy, whether it is transference, attachment, addiction or anything else. But it is just one opinion.

Thanks for this!
ArtleyWilkins, feralkittymom, koru_kiwi