View Single Post
Peanuts

Member Since Dec 2003
Default Mar 06, 2008 at 10:41 AM

My son is in middle school (7th grade) and has discovered "girls" - and they have discovered him. I am feeling social pressure myself from other parents to allow dating at this age. It is so strange in that I totally expected social pressure from the kids - but am surprised by my reaction to pressure from a few of the other parents. I'm looking for suggestions as to how to communicate with these other parents without hurting anyone's feelings.

I feel that it is best to not put young teens in a "dating" situation where they feel pressure to kiss, fondle or whatever. I feel that it is a lot more fun and a lot less pressure to do things as a group. Such as go bowling, a school sporting event, swimming, etc. That way everyone can still have fun while being around the person who has caught their attention - without any pressure to take that attraction to the next step.

Everything that I have read has stated that the later a teen can delay getting involved in sexual behavior - the better the outcome. And so here I am with other parents who when our children were toddlers would never consider allowing them to play with plastic guns or swords .. are perfectly fine with two 13 year olds going to the movies at 9 pm by themselves on a "date".

I am suddenly at a loss for words with these other parents - I do not plan on changing my plan to disallow one on one dating (I drive a gang of kids places all the time) but I am having a tough time as to what to say without hurting anyone's feelings. Any suggestions ? I don't want to come off sounding holier than thou .. and I truely don't think that I'm better than anyone else. And of course, the parents I am in contact with have children who are friends of my son.

I truely feel that how I am raising my son is best for him and reflects our values. I don't want to create an issue for him relating with his friends but have no plans to compromise. ?? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Peanuts is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote