View Single Post
stopdog
underdog is here

Member Since Sep 2011
1 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Dec 05, 2018 at 11:20 PM

While I don't believe many happy normal people want to become therapists, I never looked for one with the reason I hired one. My stuff is not all that big of a deal and I never had any serious issues that I was dealing with when I hired one.
The first woman used to throw in info about herself (her mother died of the same thing mine did, she had a niece with metasized cancer who died while I was still seeing her, her dog had some thing that mine did, she herself had an operable brain tumor, she and her children suffered from anxiety and took drugs for it etc)(I doubted most of these things happened - I think the woman lied) designed in my opinion to try and manipulate me into believing she heard me. Mostly what it did was have her make assumptions about me that were not true based upon her own experiences rather than listening and understanding mine. The second one I saw alluded to her own therapy but mostly said that she did not work for people who had the same issues she had, and in fact nothing she described as being hers was like mine even where we were more of the similar backgrounds. The second one was the better one for me.

Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.
Oscar Wilde
Well Behaved Women Seldom Make History - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.
stopdog is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote