Veteran Member

Member Since Oct 2011
1,231 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Dec 06, 2018 at 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by octoberful View Post
I love this site, the way the concepts are explained. I was at first taken aback when I read this, but then thought I'd post it here since it fits with the discussion.

ADDICTION TO PSYCHOTHERAPY

Patients who manage to organise non-stop psychotherapy for themselves, year after year replacing one therapist after the other without a break, who even have a number of concurrent therapies at various stages so that they are hardly ever without therapy, learn a lot about psychotherapy, but only to defeat its very purpose. They themselves have no intention whatsoever of changing. They are professional patients. Briefly, they use psychotherapy itself to defend against change. The more disturbed ones, may fantasise or even attempt to become psychotherapists themselves. If they are lucky, they will be rejected by the training institution. If not, they will join the ranks of those bad therapists, who are well-versed in theory, but who have distorted attitudes, a tendency to intellectualise, and who are unable to work in the here-and-now, or make therapeutic use of transference and their own countertransference.
thanks, this is an interesting concept. it does describe the very obsessive therapy client, the clients who actually enjoy or even love going to therapy, whose lives revolve around therapy, their therapist, everything and anything 'therapy' related and who seem to mindlessly worship, devour, and regurgitate the same nonsense that the perceived 'all-knowing-guru' professionals tout without stopping to actually question or ponder the validity and real life usefulness of that 'tout'. like the concept states, to me this sounds like 'professional clients' who will happily engage in therapy until their dying day. but this is by no means describes the same experince i felt or relate to when i say i was 'addicted' to the relationship with my therapist. my addiction was quite uncomfortable, painful and miserable much of the time...probably the best descriptor is it felt like a complete 'mind f#ck'

Hugs from:
Anonymous56789, MoxieDoxie

Thanks for this!
here today