View Single Post
Anonymous55498

Default Dec 06, 2018 at 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by here today View Post
Here's another article that came up when I did a search on "addiction to therapy"

When Therapy Becomes an Addiction | Psychology Today
This is mentioned in the above article and is also something I often think about, reading all the intense therapy preoccupation stories here on PC:
"Her self-preoccupation and childhood focus had put a great deal of tension on her relationship with her parents and distanced her from her husband and son."

One way how therapy can become a big distraction for some clients, whether we call it addiction or not. I don't think it makes too much sense to overly generalize these things. We have different backgrounds, some people are just prone to these preoccupation, obsession, addiction etc and will often experience it with many therapists (that clearly shows it is not about the person of the T) and others are not prone to it and will not experience it. I also don't think it is as simple as transference related to unmet needs in childhood. For some people, yes. For others (like myself, I believe), I think it is more an addiction- and obsession-predisposed biological makeup and the individual will have a tendency to get hooked on anything that provides intense stimulation and pleasure. For me, dissecting all these psychological mechanisms and discussing it with others is very interesting and enjoyable - why I liked therapy sessions and interacting with the Ts (unless it became really twisted and disrespectful) and also why I like this forum. Why it can become a distraction - it provide momentary enjoyment=instant gratification. It is not transference in my case but one of my main interests that gives me pleasure to explore, I think. For others, it can be transference. And many other things.

Thanks for this!
Bill3, feralkittymom, here today, koru_kiwi