Grand Magnate

Member Since Feb 2015
752 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Dec 08, 2018 at 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne2.0 View Post
I find it interesting that it seems to be the rule on this board that one should question ("invalidate") that people have experienced harm from therapy, yet when people talk about the benefits they've received from therapy and explain why, it's okay to be skeptical and question their experiences. It appears the questioning does not come from a place of curiosity and desire to learn, but just another way to express an opinion. I'm stepping away from this discussion, which isn't really a discussion at all.
I see the opposite. Across the therapy universe, client reports of harmful therapy are viewed with suspicion or rationalized ... bad fit, wrong modality, resistant client, lazy client, distrustful client, therapists are human, yada yada yada. Whereas benefits tend to be put on a pedestal and worshipped. This is core stuff, part of therapy scripture. Thou shalt blame the client.

And (related to the topic of this thread) benefit of the doubt is given to therapist point of view, thus concepts like "working thru transference" are accepted as gospel, rather than being viewed skeptically as a probable marketing slogan.

Thanks for this!
here today, Ididitmyway, koru_kiwi