View Single Post
Ididitmyway
Magnate

Member Since Jul 2011
128 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Dec 10, 2018 at 03:52 AM

To me it did play a role when I was in therapy. All my therapists were much older. Only one of them though was old enough to be a father (about 22 years difference). With other two the difference was 17 years. I guess, biologically one might say it's old enough to be a parent, but realistically no. I had some degree of paternal transference toward two of them. I don't think the transference would be paternal if there was 10 years difference or less. Though looking back I can't judge with certainty because I was very different back then. Right now I wouldn't, actually, see a therapist who is much older than I am. If I were to see a therapist again (which won't happen), I'd go with someone my age since I am 50 already. There is no way I'd have transference to them, especially with all my previous therapy and just life experience. It'd feel much more egalitarian and less oppressive. I'd even work with someone slightly younger, but no younger than 45, if they seem like someone who has lived a little and learned some important life lessons.

Bernie Sanders/Tulsi Gabbard 2020
Ididitmyway is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote