Magnate

Member Since Jul 2011
128 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Dec 10, 2018 at 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echos Myron redux View Post
When I first sought therapy, I wouldn't have considered anyone under 50. I am now quite curious about what therapy would have been like with someone younger. If I ever needed therapy later in life (after my current T is retired or passed) I would consider trying someone of a different age. Which makes sense because I am sure I will want to get something different out of therapy if I ever were to go again.
Same here. I started therapy when I was 33. Back then I too wouldn't have considered anyone younger than 45, then the age mark moved up to 50 when I was looking for a new therapist. I still have the same age limit, the only thing that has changed is my age. . Now that I am at the same age mark, those who meet my requirement would be my equals .

Actually, it's not the only thing that has changed. Now, I wouldn't see anyone over 60, but when I was younger I would've agreed to any age over 50. This may seem like ageism, but now therapists, who are 60 and older seem dogmatic to me and, for some reason, this is the age group I now have difficulty relating to whereas 17 years ago I enjoyed socializing with that age group much more than with my own. Of course, I am not generalizing. I understand that there are different people in every group, but there are still certain generational tendencies that apply to many. Also, my preference change has a lot to do with the fact that I have changed a great deal over the years..so, I guess, my needs are different now..

But there is one thing I know for sure. Just like I wouldn't have considered anyone younger than 45 for a therapist many years ago, I still wouldn't consider them now. No one younger than 45 for me, sorry younger therapists . I don't feel like a 30-35 year old person, no matter how insightful, has much to offer me given the different stages of life we both are in.

Bernie Sanders/Tulsi Gabbard 2020
Ididitmyway is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote