Thread: Humiliating
View Single Post
Anonymous57363

Default Dec 16, 2018 at 03:20 PM

Hello ak482. I am sorry that you are struggling with memory issues. There can be many reasons for changes in memory; temporary or otherwise. I think your first step would be to go for testing and information.

Your MD can refer you to either a Neuropsychologist or Speech-Language Pathologist (SLP) for cognitive testing. Neuropsych folks tend to focus on testing only whereas an outpatient SLP can also provide therapy to improve attention, memory, and executive function if they assess you as a suitable candidate for treatment. You need the referral for testing from your MD first.

All of this of course depends on how you score on testing and what the professionals determine as a likely cause. You didn't mention if you have a history of learning disability, brain injury, or chronic illness. Some mental illnesses such as depression can reduce a person's ability to focus and therefore cause them to forget things. That can also happen when a person has a lot of anxiety. A good MD will look at the whole picture of your physical, emotional, and cognitive health. He/she might even suggest some bloodwork to check if you are running low on any important vitamins as that can affect cognition.

There are many options available for improving or compensating for cognitive impairment. Particularly given that you are so young and aware of your own abilities. I encourage you to openly discuss with your GP to get started. The longer you wait, the more likely you are to worry, and worrying alone can make it tricky to remember things.

Good luck and best wishes to you. I hope you find some answers and options.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
KD1980, MickeyCheeky

Thanks for this!
MickeyCheeky