Thread: Benzo's
View Single Post
Anonymous57363

Default Dec 27, 2018 at 06:59 PM

I have found that the best people to ask about medications are pharmacists. Of course MDs prescribe but it's really helpful to get the perspective of a pharmacist because they have different training and a unique insight into drug effects, contraindications, and concerns. I have called my local pharmacist several times to check things or get more info and he is so helpful and informative!

I took a very low dose benzo in the past. I found that it got me out of an anxiety loop (if you know what I mean) a few times but I was not able to get another Rx because they are not recommended for long-term use. They are very strong drugs, addictive, and dangerous when mixed. I've known a few folks who mixed benzos with alcohol (not knowing the risk or not realizing how serious the risk) which can actually cause a person's death by shutting down the brainstem which controls breathing...a person can feel fine when they go to bed and then never wake up.

It is frustrating when you find a med that helps but can't continue to fill the Rx. I also understand why MDs consider it best practice not to encourage longterm use of benzos. There is currently an opioid epidemic in the U.S and the medical community is working hard to reverse that and find safer ways to help people manage their anxiety and depression.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
AncientMelody, Nammu