View Single Post
LabRat27
Poohbah

Member Since Mar 2018
2,354 hugs
given
Default Jan 07, 2019 at 08:08 PM

I made a thread about it at the time, including updates that explain how we went from termination to working together again. I thought I'd posted details about me telling him how badly he'd handled it and how much it had hurt me, but apparently not. He acknowledged that he ****ed up. It's been more than six months now, and it's still something that comes up periodically in our sessions and in my posts on here.
thread

Just found my description of our first session back in the notes on my phone, but for some reason I can't find it in my post history?
Technically in session yesterday,
I opened with "so I have a list of things I'm hurt or angry about. Actually two lists, the first is things I think are rational and that I have a legitimate right to be upset about, and the second are things that aren't rational but that I'm still feeling anyway."
He was open to hearing them. I started with the most important: when we met the last time and he referred me out, he'd made that decision for me before I'd even walked in the door. I've demonstrated that I can be reasonable and see all sides of a situation, and I deserve to be reasoned with. But he didn't ask me and I didn't get a vote or any input. He didn't give me a chance for it to be my decision.
I expressed concern that this has happened once, could it happen again that I'd walk in and he'd already made a decision like this for me?
He didn't exactly say no.
I asked him to consider how he'd feel. He acknowledged that it would not be a good feeling.
I then said "that was a really sh***y way to do it." I pointed out that he'd given me one phone number. When I googled her I found consistent reviews saying her billing department was incompetent and they'd ended up with unexpected charges months later, and that I'd heard the same from a counselor at student counseling at my university. I asked if he'd want to call and make an appointment with someone if he'd heard/read all that, and he acknowledged that he wouldn't. He pointed out that he'd asked his supervisor who she'd recommend and that was the one name he'd been given. I acknowledged that I understood that he really had been trying to do what he thought would be best for me, but that that was the problem, he'd just decided what would be best for me.
I told him that it was difficult enough to manage arranging care when one had support and wasn't in a crisis, whereas he'd taken away my support and I was left to deal with it on my own. It took an entire month to access care, and it would have taken a lot longer if it wasn't for all the ER visits that got me priority and the ER psychiatrists helping arrange things. He could have continued to see me until I got in elsewhere.
He admitted that he hadn't thought about how long it might take me to get in with someone else and hadn't realized what an issue it would be. I told him that this is why he should have included me in deciding what was best for me, because I could have told him from the beginning if he'd asked, but I wasn't going to ask once I felt rejected. He was trying to do what he thought would be best for me, but he didn't ask me.
He seemed to really "get it" and understand how badly he'd screwed up at this point.
We talked about it some more and he apologized and acknowledged he'd handled it badly, and when I asked if he could do it again whether he'd do things differently he said yes. I got his word that he wouldn't make a decision for me without talking to me again.
LabRat27 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
LonesomeTonight, SlumberKitty