View Single Post
Elio

Member Since Sep 2006
8,780 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jan 08, 2019 at 10:38 AM

I write extensively to my T in my journal (including session notes about 12 single sided typed pages a week). I give her my journal at each session and she reads them between sessions. At times I've had her read stuff silently to herself during session and other times I've read things to her. She rarely brings up things from my writings as a direct topic. She will make comments/referencing something I've written from time to time that lets me know she has read them.

Most often my journal has consisted of random thoughts and stuff I want to share with her. As I stated, I write to her so it's a way to stay connected. There are other times where I share things that are embarrassing or scary. It gives me a way to approach a topic that I am not sure how she would respond; thus giving her time to determine how she wants to handle it when I do bring it up (specifically around asking her for something). I did learn early that if I think she might respond with disgust (or something), having her read it without me around and having to wait until next session to talk about it added to my anxiety.

I have just completed 3 full years of therapy with this therapist and am thinking about taking a break from the journal. Things have gotten easier to verbalize without having some level of disassociation.

As a heads up, I've seen on here where some therapists insist on reading reading it in session, reading it out loud, having a client read it out loud, or plain refuse. My T took the idea of journaling like this to her supervisor and initially left it open that we might have to address it again depending on how it helped or didn't help. She said there wasn't a lot of information on using it this way. I have also seen several people here state that they've done something similar to what I do. I think it can be a very useful tool.
Elio is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote