Grand Magnate

Member Since Aug 2017
665 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jan 08, 2019 at 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VariableNovember View Post
Well heck. I feel bad wanting to actually discuss my session today. Ah well.

It was season 3 with new T today. I guess, I don't know that I like her. She asked me at the end of the last session to do a DBT diary card. She seems to be all gung ho for trying DBT with fidelity with me. The last T who tried discussed skills like, once maybe. I decided that doing the diary card was going to be BS, so I made my own mood tracker inspired by the traditional diary card. T seemed to be a big fan.

She spent some time looking over my journal, and made an interesting connection. Friday I was really struggling, but she proposed that I was just super triggered from Thursday when I attended this 2.5 hour training at work on trauma informed care. So what did I think about? My own childhood traumas.

She noted that I didn't seem super excited to be at therapy. That I never am, and often get disregulated afterwards. I explained that while I don't disagree that skill building will be good for me, I also need someone to give me a hug and tell me they love me.

"You want to feel supported. I get that. Also, I feel like if I did try to hug you that you might punch me."

She recommended some kind of positive reinforcement to help me associate therapy with a good thing instead of terrible therapy feelings. H later recommended cheesecake.

We spent the last 20 minutes talking about some DBT skills, which led to a conversation about my a-hole AP at work and what it looks like when someone brushes their teeth.

ETA: I am feeling very vulnerable in having really begun therapy with someone who isn't my old T and I get that there's drama, but support or feedback would be appreciated if you feel it appropriate.
In time, you might be ok if she did hug you. It ended up being the most healing part of my therapy.

Ya the positive reinforcement is a good idea, it's like helping dogs get over fears and such. If you like cheesecake, that might be a good one, personally I'd pick chocolate

Thanks for posting your update. was nice to read

Thanks for this!
LonesomeTonight, Out There, SlumberKitty