View Single Post
Anne2.0
Grand Magnate

Member Since Aug 2012
129 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jan 09, 2019 at 09:46 AM

I've written loads of things down, journal-like, sometimes 20 single spaced pages a week. For two different T's. Neither T commented on the content unless I raised it myself. I asked both T's to give the papers back each time, because I didn't want it to become part of my record.

I think it might be helpful to have a discussion with the T about what you expect they will do with the writing you give them. Just because you give it to them doesn't mean they will read it, or bring things up they think are important. If you want something different than just giving the writing to them, I think you need to say that. For me, I just wanted to share it but didn't quiz them on it or even ask if they'd read it. Sometimes I would say "like this thing I said in my journal 3 weeks ago" but I didn't assume they could remember it.

Overall, I found much more benefit from speaking in session those things difficult for me to talk about. Writing is easy, fluid, therapeutic in itself. I do think it brought things into my awareness and that was helpful, which might then encourage me to talk about them. But it was not a substitute for the talk and interaction of the therapy session itself.

I did marvel that my T's read my journals on their own time without charging for them. I don't know how much time they spent-- i hope not a lot-- but I now think that was a generous gift to me that I took for granted at the time.

There are internet therapies based solely on writings, posts or emails. That might be a better alternative for anyone who thinks that talk therapy is too difficult.
Anne2.0 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
SlumberKitty