Magnate

Member Since Apr 2016
199 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jan 14, 2019 at 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
In order for me to avoid that feeling either by overstaying my welcome or having someone else overstay their welcome I try to be a good house guest. Even if I am not told anything (unless I am a guest far away from my home and need to fly out, get a ride somwhere) I practice being a "good guest". I had a friend that for awhile we would spend enormous amounts of time together during the days when our kids were little. She never seemed to care whether I stayed all day and all night or just two hours. We got along but what I found was that being so emeshed in each other's day to day lives made it hard for both of us to be comfortable on our own. (she wasnt ultimately a good friend in the end-another story) but I learned to make myself go home at certain points even if I didnt think she minded me being around. I set the time frame when I arrived.." I can only stay a couple of hours until xxo'clock because I have to go do laundry".. this helped me establish a boundary and let her know that she would still have her own time. It may seem rude but I think ultimately the other person will appreciate it. And I do too.. when the reverse has been true where someone came to see me I really appreciated when they stated how long they would stay or I made it clear that I had to do something at a certain time so they would have to leave. This is actually a healthy relationship. My relationship with that friend of mine ultimately was not healthy and I had to end it. Setting boundaries is hard and can feel foreign to us when we are not used to setting them. I believe they are the key to a healthy happy relationship with anyone. It gets easier the more times you do it. So, long story short-practice being a good friend or guest by premptively stating when you will be leaving in order to prepare the friend or let them know you do not expect to stay until you are asked to leave.
You sound like a great house guest. I am the same way. I am with my friend and her family a lot and they even sometimes say I can stay even longer when I am about to leave. Sometimes I accept but other times I will still leave so they don’t get sick of me and can get some alone time.
rdgrad15 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote